In this article, we discuss the syntax and usage details of keywords and identifiers in Python.
In Python, keywords are reserved words. It means that we cannot create custom variables or functions or any other identifier with name matching to these keywords. The python programming language defines these keywords for particular purposes.
These are some of the existing python keywords,
Essential points about Keywords in Python,
- Except for None, True and False, all keywords are in lower case.
- Keywords are case sensitive.
- You can not create identifiers with a name similar to any existing keyword.
- There are 33 keywords in python 3.7
Identifiers are the names that we choose for custom variables, functions, or classes in a python program. There are specific rules which we need to follow while selecting a name for an identifier in Python,
Rules for choosing Identifier name in Python
- The identifier can not start with a number.
- Like 2sample is an invalid identifier.
- Identifiers can contain letters (a to z or A to Z), numbers (0 to 9), and underscore (_).
- For example, value_count, dataLoader etc. are some valid identifier names.
- Python keywords cannot be used as identifiers.
- Special symbols like !, @, #, $, %, etc. are not allowed as the identifier name in Python.
- There is no limitation on the length of the identifier in Python.
- Identifiers are case sensitive, i.e., ‘sample’ & ‘Sample’ are two different identifiers in Python.
We should not use identifier names that start and ends with two underscores like __len__ or _load__ etc. Python uses these kinds of terms to define special variables and methods inside the framework classes. We should avoid using this format to create new identifiers.
Pandas Tutorials -Learn Data Analysis with Python
Are you looking to make a career in Data Science with Python?
Data Science is the future, and the future is here now. Data Scientists are now the most sought-after professionals today. To become a good Data Scientist or to make a career switch in Data Science one must possess the right skill set. We have curated a list of Best Professional Certificate in Data Science with Python. These courses will teach you the programming tools for Data Science like Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, Seaborn and how to use these libraries to implement Machine learning models.
Remember, Data Science requires a lot of patience, persistence, and practice. So, start learning today.